Friday, December 14, 2012

A Painting by Lazlo


I don't buy art since I'm a peasant. If I was awash in dollars, pounds or yen I still wouldn't collect art but I might dabble after buying every book and piece of ephemera that I desired. As is, I only purchase thrift store art when the price is very right and the art is of questionable merit and value. This is an exception. I wouldn't call it a masterpiece but I think it's a pretty skilled portrait and for 99 cents it was a no-brainer purchase.

The problem is I have no clue who the artist Lazlo is. The back of the frame is stamped Shadowood Galleries Inc. When Googled it brings up a Dearborn, Michigan based business that was incorporated in 1975 by a John J. Mazur. Which might be a good start to tracking down Lazlo but if it was a gallery the odds that the owner would remember every artist or item that went through his establishment is likely small. Plus it's been 37 years and many things can happen in that span of time, namely the demise of millions.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

did you figure this out?

the said...

Nyet.

Josh McDonald said...

I have a painting of his as well. It was at a nursing home my partner worked at, and they threw it out. He did a little dumpster diving and saved it.

the said...

What's it of?